Friday, February 6, 2009

Handicaps in Church

I don't know a lot about golf, although my family is "big" into the sport. But, I do know that people are allowed "handicaps", which consider limitations. I think this is reasonable and gracious in regards to understanding the human, which is what the Church should be about.

Handicaps could be anything that limits one, whether they be physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, or social. Handicaps should be accepted and not forbidden as something that must be "fixed", healed, corrected, or disciplined.

The Church is about justice, which has come to mean meeting a standard that none of us can attain. The law was created to protect, not condemn and judge. I find that handicaps stretch our ability to use the law rightfully. Understanding life as a journey of faith that has many bumps, as well as many personal fallabilities, is what grace is about. And grace is most of all what the Church should be about....

No comments: