Sunday, September 27, 2009

Life and Liberty

Yesterday, I was engaged in a "conversation" on another blog about the political order and was "stuck" on the collapse of the sacred and secular for me. My "world" has collapsed into a natural and real world of existence. No more anesthesia for me.

Life is deadened through religion's "moral" thinking sometimes. The religious become so concerned about where their lines are drawn that they cease to Live as life was meant to be lived.

So, I am committed to "Life and Liberty". These are the ideals of our Founding Fathers and these are what make for the "good life". No one should be doomed to live their lives under dire constraints of oppressive regimes that limit expressions of human creativity. The huma condition needs these creative spirits to "give life" to the "deadened".

If God exists, it is no wonder that there are not many that want anything to do with that concept. Everything in a 'religious culture' from "Black stockings" to banning "Harry Potter" do not draw or appeal to the natural way man has been created to respond to "beauty", "mystery" and "concepts" that open up life, instead of drawing lines in the sand. This is diverse universe that is immensely complex. Simplicity doesn't work as it crushes, defines, defends, and marginalizes life.

Liberty is what life is about.

5 comments:

J said...

Liberty is what life is about.

Well-stated. I don't mind religious people too much, as long as they don't try to force me to believe what they believe. Unfortunately, many fundamentalists (whether christian, jewish, or muslim) do insist that we follow their particular sect or belief system.

Angie Van De Merwe said...

Liberty is what life is about, but not at the expense of another. That should also be a guideline in ethics.

Angie Van De Merwe said...

J,
Just curious, what do you do? You seem to have vast amounts of knowledge, how did you achieve it?

J said...

I don't have vast amounts of knowledge, really. Apologies if I seem pedantic. I was a grad. student in philosophy and linguistics some years ago (though did quite a few history courses as well), worked as an instructor for some time, sort of got burned out on it, and tired of academia (including the leftist PC sorts). Now into computer networking, and database admin., and writing when I have time.

However I have had a few run-ins with religious folks of all types (not only xtian) over the years--and, Miss Angie, I know rats when I smell 'em.

Angie Van De Merwe said...

J,
Thank you for your response.
No, you were never "pendantic" as far as I was concerned. I am just fascinated by all subjects and American history is one of them. You have seemed to have a grasp on some of the foundational issues, which is philosophical.

I'm sorry you "burned out" on academics, but I know your students must have benefited.

Regards.