Friday, May 8, 2009

"A Few Good Men" continued....

Whenever I watch a movie I usually chew on it for a long time afterwards, that is, if it is worth chewing on :). Things that were meaningful during the movie come to my remeberance and once again I learn something.

Today as I was continuing to think about the movie from last night, I realized that though the two Marines and the colonel and the trial all were significant in regards to the issue of justice. It would never have transpired if the lawyer had not taken the case, or taken the risk of loosing , not only the case, but his life in the military as well as his reputation in the future. He believed in justice. That justice could be known, and found. Justice was elusive at times, but he pursued, at one point almost gave up hope and despaired, but was encouraged to continue to seek justice and he did. And justice was won.

It always does a heart good when justice is found and served. People don't get away with crime, abuse of others, or with getting around the system in legal manevuering. It gives one hope that the world is not forsaken or hopeless. That is what justice is about. And civil or formal justice is a better way to understand and see it, as a trial has an "end" and a verdict. A trial does not continue the suffering or the injustice like life so often does.

Whenever I see a movie like this, I always ask myself the question, if I would have done the same thing, if not, what would I have done differently. It is always worth a self-assessment. I hope more movies will pursue the subject of justice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a key was that when he despaired he had others around him who believed in him and supported him past the 'place of doubt' .... none of us tread this path alone and it is not just the weak that need a helping hand, sometimes those who lead find new strength by a kind word unsought.

Angie Van De Merwe said...

georgenz,
You are correct that humans need support systems. One of our professor's wives did her research in psychology concerning this very subject. But, it seems common sense to me.

I don't think that we can reach out and recieve that support if trust has not been built, though. Some would think that creating a "crisis" makes for opportunity (Obabma), but those who have made the crisis for someone else are not trustworthy, are they? Look at Job's comforters. They thought they "had it right", but only added to his despair and depression and question of God.

As to those who are doing work for justice, that is sometimes a "lonely" job, because sometimes, justice is not the "status quo" stance, which I thought was the main thrust of the movie's message.

Thanks for commenting...